Thursday, April 2, 2009

New Blog and Some Motivated Students

EE pointed me towards a blog co-written by a psych resident and an ER resident. It *almost* makes me want to go back to working in an ER. But then I think about playing with helicopters and all those silly feeling go away. Anyway, check it out: http://serenitynowhospital.blogspot.com/

I started teaching our annual Wilderness Medical rotation for the 4th year medical school students today. Needless to say it'll probably be their easiest rotation, but I'm hoping we can make it a lot of fun. I did get a call from the Dean of their medical school this morning:

Dean: "I'm a little nervous about a lowly EMT teaching a med school class, what makes you certified"
Me: "(All of the BS letters behind my name, blah, blah, blah) and I think I have enough experience to be able to introduce them to real life wilderness medicine.
Dean: "Oh, well, ok. They'll be writing evaluations on you though. So be warned. I don't want this to be a 2 week vacation for them. Med school can't be fun..."
**paraphrased slightly... and over exagerated

To be honest, I'm really excited. All of the students are motivated and learn quickly. Traits lacking from 99% of my undergraduate students. I guess that's why they're in medical school.

If you're a medical school student interested in a fun rotation leave me a message on here and I'll get in touch with you. Topics we're covering:
-Search and Rescue basics
-Patient Packaging
-Patient transport decisions
-WMS approved wilderness medicine curriculum (same stuff we teach the docs)
-Basic Rope skills (raising, lowering, low angle evacuations)
-Helicopter operations
-A few practice rescues

Plus, you'll get too do some rotations with the docs on ski patrol (assuming you can ski or board) and any call out I go on while you're in my class you get to tag along on.

Enough shameless plugging. Back to writing lectures on acute abdomens:

2 comments:

EE said...

Aw, look at the cute abdomen!

Justin said...

I'm all about cute abdomens