Monday, June 16, 2008

Reflection of a Mechanic (i.e. sleeping on the ground and wanting a motorcycle)

As part of my job at the bike shop I'm the "Special events and promotions manager" (yes, that's a self appointed title) I get to work at a lot of events, races, clinics, and the such. These events are fun but a ton of work and often the people I deal with are trying to say the least. I figure that's good practice for the future... especially the second part. Plus, clocking in 56 hours in a weekend does not hurt the dwindling checking account.

First, my nomadic sleeping arrangements for the weekend:Please notice the ten grand worth of bike frames in the passenger seat, the awesome lesbian seagull (my car) and my bivy sack which has taken me many, many places. I've said it before, but I feel lucky that my parents raised me in the outdoors, living out of our minivan on vacations. Because of them I'm comfortable living out of my car for days and NOT living like a hobo.

Second, my friend's new KTM 450 dual sport moto:The problem is that he let me ride it when we had two hours of downtime. Now, I was an idiot and didn't have a helmet on or anything but my mechanic's T-shirt. This kept me from going really, really fast. I just went really fast. That bike was like an orgasm on wheels. I couldn't believe it. I want one now, very very badly. Insurance on a motorcycle for a 21 year old male? Ouch.....

3 comments:

Lucid said...

I love living out of a car/tent/sack! I did that last weekend. It's a good trait to have in SAR.

Justin said...

That's good to hear! I have the excellent ability to be able to curl up and sleep anywhere, anytime. A bivy sac, car, or tent just makes it all that much better.

tracy said...

...no helmut...??? and you call yourself an emt!!! And i have stopped wearing my seatbelt half the time lately, until the exam is over, i tell myself (stupid, eh???) The Exam is tomorrow...help...!
It looks like you are having such a riot...wish i could come along for a (helmutless) ride!
It is great to hear from you again!