Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I might be the one who needs rescueing...

I interviewed with the search and rescue team today. It was me, at the head of a conference room table, being interviewed by three sheriff's deputies and three civilians, for an hour. Easily the most nerve wracking interview I've ever gone through. And, yes, this is a volunteer organization! I'm happy that they take things so seriously.

A lot of the questions I felt easy answering. Rock climbing experience? Check. Ice climbing? Check. Hiking, camping, navigating, scrambling? Check, check, and check. And yes, I know what declination is.

Other questions I wasn't so strong on. Name 10 trails in Area X.... um, I know where the trails go. Hand me a map and I can find where I am, where you are, and get there... but the names of the trails? Damnit! I'm also weak on swift water rescue techniques, and anything that involves me driving a snowmobile or ATV (wait, something that doesn't require me to bust my ass to get somewhere? what's the fun in that!?).

Overall, I tried to convey that if I didn't know something they asked that I'd love to learn. That, and I'll do things their way, I don't mind humping a big ass pack up a mountain, and I learn fast. Luckily, I have about four times the medical requirements (50 hours of class time) required- that was a major plus.

I really, really, really, really hope I get on the team. It would be a huge commitment, but it has also been a dream of mine to work SAR since I was about 10 and meet some members of the Ouray Mountain Rescue team in Colorado. I bought one of their hats:
and wore it FOREVER, no one could pry that sucker off my head. I guess if its to be, it'll be. And if its not to be, then I'll work on my weaknesses and reapply.

J

P.S. In moab now... will post pics from the WALS classes as soon as I have them!

3 comments:

Medic61 said...

That's awesome! I hope you get it :)

Lucid said...

Good luck! I don't know which team you're interviewing for, but it sounds like you're well-prepared and a great candidate. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have your share of back-breaking manual labor once accepted. Nothing beats hiking for miles over rough terrain in crappy conditions while carrying a heavy pack, finding the guy, loading him into a litter, and carrying him over rough terrain for miles. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the SAR adventures you are sure to have soon. :)

Justin said...

Hey guys (ok, gals, sorry), thanks a lot!

Lucid: I love your blog, it sounds like your EMT class has gotten to do a lot more stuff than mine, that's awesome!

I'm not sure if I'll post which team I end up working for. I know this blog isn't really all that anonymous. I will say that its a pretty unique team because we have a large body of water, a lot of mountains, and a large urban area and the team is responsible for all of it.