Sunday, May 25, 2008

Search and Rescue

I got a call from our local search and rescue team today. They want to interview me for an open position on the team. Excited does not do justice to how I feel. I love the mountains, I love EMS, this is a great combination. I realize that I won't be able to do operations like the picture above for a long time, and that most of the time there isn't much medicine involved (one member of the team impressed me with the quote "by the time we get to them they're usually either stable or they're dead) but I honestly cannot think of anything I'd rather be doing.

If I get on the team it is a huge time commitment though. I would be expected to respond to 66% of all call outs for the first 9 months and 50% of all call outs from there on out. I would also be on call 24/7/365.

My mom (a nurse practitioner) thinks this that if I get on the team it will change everything- that I won't want to go to med school, that I'll be a flight nurse or medic, etc, etc, etc. We'll see about that....

2 comments:

tracy said...

Congrats, "Theo"! Yay!!!

Be sure to let us know what you next career move will be! Smiles to you!

Justin said...

Thanks! I'm sure I'll post here when I know what's going to happen. Did I mention I hate waiting!?