Friday, May 2, 2008

I just assumed....

What is a college student with no finals left to do? Read blogs, of course...

Moving Meat if one of my favorite ER doc blogs. It has come very close to making me very interested in administration (oh god, my dad will kill me now). I found This Post and Dr. Gawande's Writings particularly interesting (although they are just an aside on the topic of the post).

You see, I always assumed that there were checklists like that in place. For instance, when I do a Western Blot in the lab I have a checklist that I've written that I go through. Before I started doing that, our results were sporadic. Afterwards, they became much more consistent. Hell, in almost everything I do I have checklists. Studying, yep. Training sessions, yep. Girls, ok- maybe not everywhere. Why would medicine be any different?

But, do have I used checklists per say on the few EMS runs that I've done? Nope.
Sure, we have run forms, I have my SAMPLE and OPQRST questions that I run through in my head, but that's the extent of it. In fact, a checklist sounds like it would be a pain in the ass. But, if it would be worth it I'd do it in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

tracy said...

Cool...i l o v e Dr. Gawande, he is my book crush...have you been to his site...? i haunt it like the stalker that i am...lol!

Unknown said...

I like some of his stuff. An ER doc, and one of my closest mentors, once told me:
"Anyone who hides behind 'the art of medicine' is full of shit and likely hiding something else".
I tend to read more medical books than websites (mainly because I get sucked into the endless links and waste HOURS!).

Thanks for reading!!!