Saturday, May 9, 2009

Guilty As Charged

I leave town for a week and miss TWO, TWO friggin rescues. Seriously, I'm thinking the worst thing for the welfare of mountain going folks in my county is for me to leave town (this has happened quite a few times).

I feel guilty. I should be there helping our relatively small rescue team out with these (especially when there's two in one day). Instead I'm sitting on my ass in my parents house, where I'll be for the next week. If there's more rescues I'm tempted to fly home NOW.

Should I feel guilty? We're a volunteer team- I don't get paid a dime to go on rescues that will occupy 500+ hours or so of my year. In fact, I buy most of my own gear for those rescues. So who cares that I'm home and enjoying time with my family? I do... I love going on call outs, I love the challenge, I love the rush, I love talking to the patients on the way home, I love it all and get pissed when I miss out- end of story.

I'm going to get so much shit at the next meeting....

No comments: