Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why I Love Anatomy



Today was the last day of my anatomy course- and I'm actually pretty bummed out about it. Its been a hard course, I've been told its almost medical school level but with an easier curve for those who just need to pass. I don't 'just' need to pass... I need to get an A, I want to be a TA. I LOVE ANATOMY, here's why:

-The professor.... the best at our school. He does crunches to show us the rectus abdominus, makes kids flex their biceps brachii, and runs around to show us what each of the three gluteal muscles do. He's a professor that you want to do well for because you love him so much

-The exams. They're hard, really hard. I've never, ever used the whole 2 hours to take an exam before this class. His exams make you think and analyze rather than just memorize. I've never been more proud of an A on an exam.

-The lab. We have a cadaver lab for undergrads. 6 people to a cadaver for the whole semester. Its amazing to put your hands inside of a body... simply put- everything makes sense. Curious to what that muscle does? Pull the tendon. What does that nerve inervate? Trace it out. All the TAs are undergrads too and they have an amazing enthusiasm for teaching.

-The usefulness. Will I ever need to write out a half cell equation and balance the electrons in an ambulance, ER, operating room, etc? Not likely.... Will I need to know the collateral circuitry of the Celiac trunk arteries? Probably... The Brachial Plexus? I bet I will... The funny thing is, anatomy isn't a pre-req for medical school. That's ridiculous! I can't think of any other one class (ok, physiology) that I will use throughout the rest of my education and medical career. Such is the life of living under Ivory Towers.

I'll miss this class a lot, but such is life. Here's hoping I'll be a TA next semester!

2 comments:

tracy said...

Congrats on you well deserved A, that's great!! i love anatomy, just not too smart in it....sigh. Even the simple anatomy for emt sometimes confuses me...ha! But, i find it all fascinating anyhow. i loved your remark about chemistry..."keeps stupid people out of medical skool" (spelling intentional)...it won't keep you out, that's for sure, but it was certianly one of the things that kept me out of nursing school a hundred years ago!
Your professor rocks, i hope you get to be a TA, you would rock too!
take good care, tracy

Justin said...

hehe, thanks! I don't have an A yet, we still have a final in the lecture class next week....

For me, anatomy just takes a lot of time. I write all the muscles out (in their compartments) over, and over, and over again. I do blood traces, and nerve traces ad nauseum. Repetition is the only way I can get it done!

And if you've seen my grade in chem 1, it might be me that's being kept out of medical school ;)
Thanks for the comments!